Friday, March 6, 2009

SIMPLE WORSHIP

As many of you know, I am about to finish up a master's degree in worship from Dallas Baptist in May. Throughout my three years in the program (yes, three years), I have been working to broaden my understanding of biblical worship. One of my favorite aspects of the program has been studying how the church has worshipped throughout history. So, when Randal presented this "early Church experiment" to the staff, I was extremely intrigued by the possibilities it held for our worship times together.

The more I have read about early church worship, the more I found two specific elements at its center: simplicity and an overall "togetherness". Their worship was humble in nature, simplistic, and very corporate.

Over the past two Sundays, I have LOVED stripping everything down. I prefer strong, passionate worship accompanied by a full band. However, I am finding through this experiment that God can be worshipped just as passionately without all the technology, and without all the instruments. When we took away everything, we were clearly able to hear one, unified voice of praise to God. There is something truly powerful about hearing just our voices lifted up. We have understood that we are not singing alone, but that we are singing as ONE. We have had to rely on one another to make the music beautiful, not just amplified instruments.

Since we no longer have the words on the screen, the only lyrics I have had, have been the lyrics stored deep within me. Without my Bible, I have had to draw from the well of Scripture that I have stored over my years. Though uncertain of how I would respond without my Bible, I had to answer the question..."What do I have within me?" Over all my years in the church (28), all the Bible studies...if I have not internalized enough Scripture to draw from for a month, then I have missed something! Come to find out, I have discovered a wealth of Scripture to meditate on and a wealth of songs that I have committed to my heart.

Taking the Lord's Supper from one loaf last week symbolized the "togetherness" that we so desperately need in today's worship. Being able to lay hands on and pray for men and women who have committed to serve, brought unity as well. We are ONE body, and I love how we are growing to understand that worship at Meadowridge is not just about our own personal time with God. We are sharing our collective hearts with God! So, I will continue to share Scripture with you and encourage as many of you as I possibly can. Many of you have encouraged me over the past few weeks and I admit to you that I need that. I am truly praying that this simplicity and "togetherness" will continue, even after the switches are flipped back on!

-Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment