Saturday, March 7, 2009

Early Church Experiment

The last few weeks have been extremely challenging and also exciting for me as I know they have been for some of you. I know God is doing great things to deepen our walk in this time. I am very lucky being a seminary student because this semester I am taking Old Testament. I have had the opportunity to read Psalms all the way to Jeremiah (which is where I am currently studying). So I have not had to go without independent scripture reading. I never have had time to read any books other than the ones assigned by the seminary, so eliminating Christian book reading has not been too hard. The thing that I have had the hardest time with is not being able to listen to Christian music. I love to sing and to worship God through music especially when I am driving in my car. I know that the other people beside me have no idea if I am singing to a CD or singing all alone. However, it feels very different to sing in the car without music. The last week I have found myself craving more and more the old familiar music. I am so grateful for the ability to listen to music that glorifies God openly and freely. Wednesday nights the kids have been talking with missionaries about the need to tell the world about Jesus. We have heard from missionaries from China, Indonesia, Japan and Honduras. I think about how so many people around the world do not have the freedoms that we as Americans have to worship God openly. Also, they do not have the ability to drive to their nearest Wal-Mart and buy the latest and greatest worship CD. It makes me very grateful to have abundant resources.
I have found that throughout this experiment the most dramatic thing I have seen change in my life is prayer. I have found myself praying out loud to God more often and with more passion than ever before. I have been very surprised how different my daily time with God has become. My prayers and praise of God have grown. I find myself connecting to God in a very different deeper way.
I know that one of Randal’s goals of this experiment was for us to rely on each other more so than ever before. He asked us to fellowship weekly and to talk with each other about how we are doing spiritually. He asked us to turn to each other in times of need and pray for each other. I feel as though our ingrained sense of individuality has kept us from doing this as much as we should. I would challenge each of you to break down the walls that separate our church body. Reach out to other church members that you have not yet built relationships with and take time to get to know them and their families. Mark Dever defines church membership as “a formal commitment to love and be loved by those Christians we live around, whom we regularly interact with, whom we desire to hold accountable, and to whom we are held accountable. A certain assembly has accepted the responsibility to teach us, to lead us, to love us, to care for us, and to correct us when we need it. ” How do you feel we are doing in this area? How has the Early Church Experiment affected your daily lives? Please feel free to openly dialogue about what this experiment has meant to you. You may find that it deepens the impact of this experiment on us, our relationships as a body and our relationships to God.

Fight the good fight!

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment